A c t i o n f o r L i b r a r i e s
— M a r c h 2 0 0 1
BCR Offers Free Trials
By James Speed Hensinger
of K-12 Online Resources
K-12 schools and libraries are the major beneficiaries of BCR's latest free trials. BCR
has scheduled trials of resources specifically tailored to K-12 schools and libraries.
Selected databases from six vendors EBSCO Information Services, Facts on File
News Service, Gale Group, NewsBank, Inc., SIRS and bigchalk.com are available
from March 1 through April 15 at no cost to BCR member libraries and their patrons.
Please note, the Gale Group databases are only available for Colorado libraries to try.
To sign up for the free trials, go to
Information on accessing the trial will be sent electronically after you sign up.
Participating libraries have access to the databases listed below.
- Primary Online Package for Elementary Schools: four full-text databases
Primary Search, Newspaper Source, ERIC and Professional Development
- Middle Online Package for Junior High and Middle Schools: five full-text
databases Middle Search Plus, TOPCICsearch, Newspaper Source, ERIC and
Professional Development Collection.
- Ulta Online Package for High Schools: six full-text databases MAS Ultra
(School Edition), Health Source (Consumer Edition), Newspaper Source,
TOPICsearch, ERIC and Professional Development Collection.
- NoveList: subject and keyword access to 92,000 fiction titles.
- MagillOnLiterature: critical analyses and plot summaries of the most studied
works in literature.
Facts On File News Service
- Facts.com: 20 years of full-text Facts On File World News, updated weekly; 60
years of historic events and daily news, updated hourly.
- World Almanac Online: content from Facts On File, updated monthly.
- Issues and Controversies on File: headline news controversies on a range of
contemporary topics, published semimonthly.
- Today's Science on File: covers all facets of science, published monthly.
- InfoTrac Kids/Junior/Student editions: full-text from leading magazine,
newspapers and reference books with two interfaces, K-12 and IT Web.
- Student Resource Center: ( based on national curriculum standards) original
reference material, primary source documents, periodicals and newspapers,
- General Reference Center Gold: key business and general interest titles.
- Discovering Collection: content and key resources from Discovering Program
titles, Discovering Authors, U.S. History, Science and Biography and Junior
- Junior Reference Collection: 24-hour access to subjects most frequently studied
by students of all ages.
- NewsFile (1991-current) High School: full-text news articles.
- NewsBank Retrospective (1970-1991) K-12: full-text newspaper information.
- NewsBank ScienceSource Collection (1987-current) K-12: covers all areas of
physical, life and computer sciences from 300 journals.
- SchoolMate for Middle Schools: full-text news articles from more than 500 U.S.
regional and national newspapers, wire services and 140 periodicals.
- KidsPage for Elementary Schools: easy-to-understand vocabulary with keyword
searching for intermediate-level users.
- Denver Post (1989-current): full-text, cover-to-cover coverage of Post articles
with daily updates.
- Rocky Mountain News (1989-current): full-text, cover-to-cover coverage of
News articles with daily updates.
- SIRS Researcher: full-text exploring social, scientific, health, historic, economic,
business, political and global issues.
- SIRS Renaissance: current information on the arts and humanities.
- IRS Government Reporter: full-text on health, science, economics, environment,
politics, foreign affairs, workplace issues, business and industry.
- SIRS NetSelect: database of Internet resources providing easy access to quality
Web sites on almost any subject.
- bigchalk Library: full-text articles and transcripts from more than 1,500
magazines, newspapers, books and radio/TV programs.
- ProQuest Platinum: general reference to advanced subject matter from more than
- eLibrary Classic: for learners of all ages with references from more than 800
- eLibrary Elementary: for younger researchers with tailored content from more
than 70 full-text sources and an easy-to-use interface.
BCR Publications | Table of Contents